The total federal debt of the U.S. government has now increased more than $7 trillion during the slightly more than five and a half years Barack Obama has been president.
That is more than the debt increased under all U.S. presidents from George Washington through Bill Clinton combined, and it is more debt than was accumulated in the first 227 years of this nation’s existence – from 1776 through 2003.
The total federal debt first passed the $7-trillion mark on Jan. 15, 2004, after President George W. Bush had been in office almost three years.
Following the quick collapse of the cease-fire in Gaza, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told the White House not to force a truce with Palestinian militants on Israel.
Sources familiar with conversations between Netanyahu and senior U.S. officials, including Secretary of State John Kerry, say the Israeli leader advised the Obama administration “not to ever second guess me again” on the matter. The officials also said Netanyahu said he should be “trusted” on the issue and about the unwillingness of Hamas to enter into and follow through on cease-fire talks.
The Obama administration on Friday condemned “outrageous” violations of an internationally brokered Gaza cease-fire by Palestinian militants and called the apparent abduction of an Israeli soldier a “barbaric” action.
Democratic Rep. Gary Peters (D-MI), the Democrat U.S. Senate nominee in Michigan, told attendees of a town hall event in Detroit’s Mexicantown neighborhood that immigration reform was not about enforcing America’s laws.
“Immigration reform is not about enforcement,” Peters said in a short video clip obtained by Breitbart News. “It’s about finding a way to fix the problems in our immigration system.”
The event was held April 6, 2013, and was hosted by local pro-amnesty organization One Michigan—before the Senate passed the “Gang of Eight” immigration bill. The organization pushed for that bill and frequently advocates on its Facebook page on behalf of illegal aliens.
Unhappy parents have forced an Oregon school board to re-think its plan to begin handing out condoms to students – sixth-graders on up – when school starts up again this fall.
During a May meeting, school board members approved a plan in which trained teachers (presumably health teachers) would hand out prophylactics after first having “a discussion with the student,” StatesmanJournal.com reports. Some of those students could have been as young as 11 years old.
But when parents and community members caught wind of the “condoms-upon-request” plan, they flooded a June board meeting to express their displeasure.
“Some members of the public were offended that schools were stepping into the parents’ territory of addressing their children’s sexuality, according to minutes of the June board meeting,” the StatesmanJournal reports.